The serpentine belt on the GM 2.2L Ecotec engine can be a difficulty to change due to limited space and difficulties in gaining a device on the tensioner. In this short article I will replace the belt without a special tensioner wrench. Together a tool,though, will most likely greatly aid in an altering the belt top top this particular engine. Some extr GM models that are fitted with this engine encompass HHR, Malibu, Alero, cool Am, Sunfire, Saturn L series as well as part Opel and Vauxhall cars. This job was done on a 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt. This vehicle is equipped through an wait conditioner. The task at a glance
Tools: A serpentine wrench with a 3/8" square masculine end, 10mm socket or wrench, Philips screwdriver, Optional: 3/8" square keystock 2mm long, 3/8" open finish wrench, 10" crescent wrench and also a piece of pipe big enough to fit over the wrench and also at least two feet long. Likewise optional yet recommended: lug wrench and tire jack.Materials: noneParts: Serpentine belt (Gates K050400) see link at finish of post.Cost the parts: Belt $15-20Time: 30 minutes
This procedure assumes a one human job. If over there is the high-end of a helper, several of the steps do not apply.
You are watching: 2005 chevy malibu 2.2 serpentine belt diagram
2) Optional however will greatly assist in this job: break lug nuts on appropriate front wheel, jack the wheel up and also remove. Eliminate a couple of dashboard fasteners and pull under on the wheel fine cover to disclose the crankshaft pulley.
3) eliminate the waiting intake assembly from the wait filter cover to the throttle body, Unsnap native the wait filter and also loosen a clamp screw it is registered the other finish to the throttle body.
4) locate the 3/8" square hole because that the serpentine stress and anxiety release tool. It is around midway between the prior and back of the tensioner.
|The belt course is simple. The job much less so.|
|The 3/8" crucial stock screens the relative position of the tensioner hole|
5) place your device in the hole and lift upward to relax tension. If act the project by yourself, a means to hold the tension off is really helpful. This is just how I did it, back I"m sure there are much better ways. I supplied a 2mm piece of key stock and also jammed it into a 3/8" open finish wrench through a piece of thin plastic. This held the an essential stock in ar while ns probed roughly for the square hole. As soon as I fit it in there, i pulled the wrench off.
|That"s a little bit of plastic from a milk carton jammed between the key stock and also the wrench|
|The 10" crescent wrench is ~ above the key stock|
See more: Sally Suleiman On Twitter: " What Does Omo Mean In Nigeria N?
|Makeshift tools are in place and also tension is totally off the belt|
6) remove the belt. Leaving the stress release tool(s) on and slip the belt out in between the alternator and also ac compressor. Pull the belt off the air conditioning compressor first, climate the alternator and finally the crankshaft pulley. The crankshaft is simpler with the wheel and lower wheel fine cover the end of the way. A pair of panel fasteners need to come off to gain the cover out of the way.
|Getting the belt off and also on the crankshaft sheave is for this reason much much easier with the wheel and also cover removed|
1) on slide the brand-new belt over the crankshaft pulley and under the tensioner. Then place it over the alternator. Finally, slip it over the ac compressor. Dual check to make certain the belt is perfectly seated on every components